Registered Practical Nurse, Mental Health and Addictions (149-19)
Full-Time • James Bay Coast Region
JOB POSTING # 149-19
POSTING DATE: October 9, 2019
JOB TITLE: Registered Practical Nurse, Mental Health and Addictions –
INITIAL ASSIGNMENT: Mental Health and Addictions – School Program
BARGAINING AGENT: ONA
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
Reporting to the Manager, Clinical Services, the Registered Practical Nurse, Mental Health and Addictions will be assigned to a district school board to advise educators, develop individual care plans in collaboration with other professionals and assist school boards in developing strategies to address mental health and addiction needs.
NATURE & SCOPE:
- Assisting school boards in recognizing and responding to student mental health and addiction issues;
- Providing medical consultation to educators regarding issues such as medication management for individual students, when overall needs of the patient are less complex, outcomes are more predictable and the risk of negative outcomes is low;
- Providing services and support to students with mild mental health and substance abuse issues;
- Consulting with the RN and/or other appropriate members of the healthcare team when support and/or intervention is required in complex mental health and addiction issues;
- Developing plans for patients with mental health and addiction needs;
- Play a key role in helping students and/or parents’ access services such as family health and/or addictions agencies;
- Apply knowledge of nursing process, as it relates to scope of practice, to achieve identified client goals.
Direct clinical experience in providing mental health and/or addictions services for children and youth;
Knowledge of the mental health and addictions service system for children and youth;
Solid knowledge of health care related legislation and practices;
Assessment and care planning skills;
Ability to work independently;
Effective interpersonal and communications skills;
Registered Practical Nurse and relevant related experience;
Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
Must have valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle;
Valid Emergency First Aid Certification;
Travel will be required;
Advanced written and oral proficiency in English is essential.
Less qualified candidates may be considered. However, candidates who meet all requirements will be given priority for an interview.
The NE LHIN is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information submitted will be used only for the purpose of determining suitability for this vacancy. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested persons are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to:
Applications received after the date noted above may be considered unless seniority is the determining factor in selecting the successful candidate.
Please refer to posting number 149-19 when applying.