Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner
Full-Time • James Bay Coast Region
Position: Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner
Site: Attawapiskat Hospital
Division: Patient Care
Reports to: Director of Patient Care
Status: Permanent Full-time
Weeneebayko Area Health Authority (WAHA) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner.
Weeneebayko Area Health Authority (WAHA) is the leading health care provider on the western James Bay coast. WAHA comprises of hospitals in Moose Factory, Fort Albany, and Attawapiskat, with a Health Centre in Moosonee. WAHA also provides regional outpatient programs, as well as Paramedicine services in Moose Factory, Moosonee, Fort Albany, Kashechewan, Attawapiskat, and Peawanuck. The span of services, complexity of care needs in the region, and the depth of health integration has made WAHA a leader and a model of health care services in Northern Ontario. WAHA consists of 450 employees, a Physician team, many students, as well as community stakeholders. It is affiliated with Queens University and offers many educational opportunities for current and prospective team members.
Position Profile Requirements:
- Adaptable and culturally sensitive to situations as they arise
- Demonstrate leadership and critical thinking skills
- Ability to maintain comprehensive documentation skills based on the standards outlined by the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Demonstrated Primary Health Care Competencies in Adult, Family, gerontology, Pediatric, and Women’s Health.
- Provide Primary Health Care to clients in the Hospital and after hours in the Outpatient department
- Liaise and consult with the physicians based in Moose Factory to ensure quality of care by establishing and maintaining a network of consultation and referral with physicians and other health professionals.
- Provide health teaching, promoting healthy lifestyles by incorporate a teaching plan with interventions
- Referring clients as appropriate for follow-up with community health agencies and programs
- Working with Registered Nursing staff in the Hospital to develop skills to perform procedures delegated by physicians.
- Ability to prescribe narcotics and controlled substances
Qualifications & Experience:
- Successful completion of a Registered Nursing Program with certification as a Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Minimum of two year experience as a Registered nurse in an acute care setting.
- Experience in Outpost Nursing setting will be considered an asset
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge and sensitivity of Indigenous health issues and of the geographic region
- Experience in a remote area and ability to communicate in the local native Cree language is an asset
- Defined contribution pension plan (HOOPP) and health and welfare benefits
- Free Housing provided, Northern Allowance, Retention and travel benefits
- Working for an organization currently undergoing development and transformation
- Being part of a strong and cohesive multidisciplinary team
How to apply: The successful candidate must provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening Check within a specified time frame
Please apply in writing, providing three recent work references, quoting Competition #2021-023 to:
Weeneebayko Area Health Authority
P.O. Box 664 Moose Factory, ON P0L 1W0
Resumes can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 705-658-4917
For more information contact the HR team by email above
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Weeneebayko Area Health Authority is an inclusive employer. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.