General Maintenance Worker (22-22)
Full-Time • James Bay Coast Region
POSITION TITLE: 22-22 General Maintenance Worker
STATUS: Full Time
CLASSIFICATION: Support Staff, Payband E
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
SALARY: $ 26.47/hr to $ 30.69/hr (40 hrs/week)
STARTING SALARY: $ 26.47/hr
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
DIVISION: Plant and Property
COMPETITION #: 22-22
At Northern College, we’re driven by our commitment to the ongoing success and development of our students, our communities and our staff. A career with Northern College can provide you with meaningful opportunities for your professional growth, and we’re confident that our friendly, collaborative workplace culture will contribute to your personal growth as well.
In addition, to a rewarding career, some of the other benefits offered to eligible full-time employees of Northern College include competitive salaries, a defined-benefit pension plan, a comprehensive benefits package, access to our athletics facilities and a wellness program.
Reporting to the Manager, Plant and Property & Health and Safety the successful incumbent will:
- Perform semi-skilled and skilled work in tasks usually associated with one or more of the skilled trades;
- Ensure that health and safety and quality standards are met in operation and control of building systems/equipment;
- Ensure that repairs/maintenance and/or services are completed in a timely manner to ensure the safety of staff and students;
- Perform routing building maintenance such as, but not limited to painting, masonry work, plumbing repairs, carpentry, door hardware, snow removal, sanding and grounds keeping;
- Operate equipment such as tractors, walk-behind equipment, vehicles, and small power/hand tools;
- Perform routine maintenance on HVAC equipment, refrigeration equipment, boilers and small appliances;
- Perform repairs to grounds equipment such as lawnmowers, tractors, trimmers, chainsaws, sanders, sweepers and snow removal equipment;
- Move equipment and furniture;
- Liaise with various suppliers and contractors in carrying out duties, and ensures that Health and Safety Policies and Procedures are followed; and
- Perform duties primarily on the main campus in Moosonee but may also be required to perform similar duties at other locations including the James Bay Education Centre on Moose Factory Island.
A detailed job description for this position is available from the Human Resource Services department.
- 1-year certificate or equivalent in a related field;
- 2 years of practical experience in large building maintenance with the ability to operate grounds equipment and small hand tools;
- Valid ‘G’ driver’s licence;
- Standard First Aid/ CPR / AED;
- Understanding of HVAC (heating and cooling) systems and boiler system maintenance and basic repairs;
- Well-developed analytical, troubleshooting, and teamwork skills;
- Self-starter and ability to function in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience with mobile equipment and small engine repair, air compressor and hydraulics is considered (asset);
- Small appliance repairs (asset); and
- Carpentry, plumbing and basic welding skills (asset).
The incumbent may be required to provide a criminal reference check.
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit the Northern College website at: www.northernc.on.ca and click on the Careers at Northern link to apply through our online job application system.
Northern College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Northern College values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Northern College, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.